The words we hate to hear while on a diet, “NO PASTA”. I say NO to that! You do not have to give up your favorite pasta items just because you are on a diet. Just a few simple tweaks and you have a meal that will fit your healthier lifestyle. I found this recipe and made a couple of substitutes and Voila a Healthy lasagna recipe. I decided it needed a true taste challenge and let my family and friends try it to see what they thought. It was a hit and everyone was asking me for the recipe. The best part about this Healthy Lasagna is that it is under 300 calories and under 10 grams of fat per serving. Even better take this Healthy Lasagna and add a side salad to it and you have a well balanced meal.
Prep Time:25 minutes
Total Time:1 hour
9 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 lb extra-lean (at least 96%) ground beef
½ cup chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 jar (25.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic Italian herb pasta sauce
1 egg white
1 container (15 oz) light ricotta cheese
3 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup of shredded reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)or more if you like spice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a 13X9-inch glass baking dish, Spray with cooking spray to keep the noodles from sticking to the pan.
For the noodles you want to cook as directed on the box, while you are waiting for the water to start boiling let’s start on the meat sauce.
2. In a large skillet you want to add the beef, garlic, and onions on medium-heat until the beef is cooked thoroughly. Afterward the beef is cooked drain off the access oil left in the pan.
3. Place the beef back into the pan and add the pasta sauce (put one cup to the side for later), ground red pepper and 1 teaspoon of the oregano. Bring back to a boil, stirring frequently. Remove from heat
4. In a medium bowl, beat egg white. Add in the ricotta cheese and the mozzarella cheese and mix together.
5. Heat the Oven to 425. Drain noodles.
6. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce mixture over bottom of baking dish. Top with 3 noodles, 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce mixture, next put 1/3 of the cheese mixture. Repeat layer again. Then top with remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella cheese; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
7. Spray 15-inch piece of foil with cooking spray. Cover lasagna with foil.
8. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes until the lasagna is bubble. Remove the foil and let it cook 5 more minutes so it gets to a golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy.
1 Serving: Calories 260 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 400mg; Total Carbohydrate 21g (Dietary Fiber 2g, Sugars 5g); Protein 20g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6
Weight Watchers Points: 5.5