This is one of my favorite healthy chicken recipes that can be made in a very short amount of time. I love comfort food and trying to find easy Mexican recipes that are healthy can be hard to find. When making this tostada at home you can save a lot of calories and fat because when you get them from Taco Bell the shells are usually deep fried, cheese is high in fat, and the meat is usually ground chuck which adds extra fat and calories. I have found a way to save calories and fat from using healthier products. These tostadas I make almost taste like they came from Taco bell. I will use my broiler to save on calories and fat and still give you a great crunch. I enjoy Mission Tortillas Carb Balance out of all the healthy tortillas out there for this recipe. You can find most Mission tortillas in the grocery store.
There are a couple of ways to make this recipe and it all really about what you enjoy the most. You can use boneless skinless chicken breast or extra lean 93/7 ground beef. I like to use Fat free low sodium refried beans to make sure that all the goodies on top stick to the tortilla. You can also use black beans if you like. I add tomatoes, lettuce and onions topped with some low fat cheese to bring all the elements together. Hope you enjoy.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
4 boneless skinless chicken breast (about a pound)
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
½ teaspoon of cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon paprika
1 can of refried beans (try to find low sodium)
2 roma tomatoes
2 cups of shredded lettuce
8 Mission Carb Balance Tortilla Shells
1 cup of reduced fat Cheddar Cheese
Taco bell Medium taco sauce optional
1. Chop the chicken breast into bite sizes. Cook in a pan on the stove at medium heat. After you add the chicken add the spices to the chicken. Stir until everything is mixed together. Continue to stir and cook until the chicken is no longer pink and has cooked about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size of your chicken bites.
2. While the chicken is cooking go ahead and chop your tomatoes into bite sizes and make sure the lettuce is shredded. Put to the side when done.
3. Turn on the oven to Broil. Also cook the refried beans as directed.
4. Take your tortillas and place them on to a baking sheet and put on the top rack of the oven. Keep an eye as they will cook very quickly. I would say maybe 3 minutes per side depend on your oven. Once it a light brown flip it over and do the same to the other side. Once both sides have been toasted take it out of the oven.
5. Time to assemble the Tostadas. First put a layer of the refried beans I like to make it a little thick so where all the veggies and chicken will stick. Next add the chicken then top with lettuce, tomatoes and cheese. Top off your tostada with your favorite taco sauce if you wish. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information: 2 Tostadas
1 Serving: Calories 411; Total Fat 5.3g (Saturated Fat 2.0g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 1610mg; Total Carbohydrate 43.7g (Dietary Fiber 19g, Sugars 4g); Protein 46.2g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 9
Weight Watchers Points: 8