It’s that time of year again where you want to get outside and fire up those grills. Are you tired of the same old way you are making your fish? I was looking for a healthy fish recipe when I came across this and I thought it sounded great, Grilled Tilapia with Jalapeno Slaw. This is a great recipe that can be made outside on the grill or in your grilling pan in the kitchen. The great thing about fish recipes are that you can have a healthy meal that will go with any low calorie diet as long as you do not add all the butter to pan when grilling it.
Instead of using classic mayo to make your coleslaw creamy we are going to use Italian dressing to make the flavors light and fluffy without all the fat and hidden calories. This is also a good recipe to do by the pool because the coleslaw will not have to keep going in and out of the cooler because there is no mayo to go bad.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
4 filets of tilapia (fresh or frozen just make sure thawed)
1 ½ cups of Italian dressing (Zesty Free from Kraft or a low fat low sodium dressing)
2 jalapenos, halved and seeded
1 (16-ounces) bag coleslaw mix
¼ cup loosely packed chopped cilantro
1 tsp garlic (minced)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse and pat dry each fish fillet. In a gallon Ziploc baggy place the fish and ½ cup of Italian dressing. Let marinate for about 10 minutes but do not go over 30 because the fish will begin to cook in the dressing since there is lemons and or lime in the dressing.
2. You want to preheat your grill pan or the grill (depending on which you have to work with) you want it on high heat.
Tip: Make sure to use enough cooking spray so the fish will not stick. If you are doing it on the grill you will want to use a grilling rack so the fish does not fall through your grill.
3. You will want to grill the jalapenos for about 2 minutes. Chop into piece afterwards.
4. In a medium bowl you will want to add the salad dressing, cilantro, garlic, chopped jalapenos and slaw mix. Stir together and add salt and pepper to taste
5. Time to grill the fish remove the fish from marinade and place on the grill. Discard the marinade. Grill the tilapia for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, or is flakey when you put a fork in it.
6. To serve you will split the coleslaw into 4 on each plate and place one fillet on it as well. Garnish with cilantro and Enjoy
1 Serving: Calories 164: Total Fat 2.5g (Saturated Fat .5 g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 50mg; Sodium 1002mg; Total Carbohydrate 12.1g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugar 7.2); Protein 21.4g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 4
Weight Watchers Points: 3