There are many healthy chicken recipes that replace fatty buffalo chicken wings into healthy meals. This will be a meal that you and your family will love, best part you already get to use the sauce you love as long as it is low in fat and calories. When I came across this one not too long ago I decided to give it a try. It gives an elegant look to what are usually messy buffalo chicken wings. I give you 2 options on how to cook it. The first option you do not put the sauce on until last as a drizzle over the top, that way you can control how much you put on. The second option is where you dip the chicken into the sauce first and that way it is baked in with the chicken, you might want a little sauce dipping bowl for the side. Both options are great, just what you prefer sauce on the top on inside.
Here is a little fact; Did you know that a buffalo wing from Papa John’s Spicy Buffalo wings have 170 calories, which isn’t bad but who is going to eat just one. The shocker is that it has 13 grams of fat for just one wing which also includes 1070mg of sodium. That is all for just one wing. I think I will pass and try this recipe which is has a lot less fat and fill you up even more.
1 Serving: Calories 200: Total Fat 3.4g (Saturated Fat 1.1 g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 66mg; Sodium 400mg; Total Carbohydrate 13.3 (Dietary Fiber .1g, Sugars 1.3g ); Protein 29.9g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 5
Weight Watchers Points: 4
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat cream cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons 2 % reduced fat milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 cup of Buffalo Sauce (your favorite just watch calories and fat)
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine the blue cheese and cream cheese together with pepper to taste (2 turns on a grinder). Set aside.
- You want to cut a horizontal slit into the thickest part of the chicken breast, make sure not to cut all the way through you want to make a pocket to put the cheese in. Do this for each chicken breast. Then divide the cheese mixture evenly in the 4 chicken breast pockets.
- A. 1st Option: Next you want 3 shallow bowls. Place flour in one bowl, the egg white and milk in another, and then the Panko in the third. Working with one chicken breast at a time you want to dredge into the flour, dip it into the egg and then cover the breast with Panko. Repeat with the three remaining breasts.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Cover with cooking spray. Place all 4 chicken breasts into the heated skillet. Turn the chicken over once brown on the side about 4 minutes. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or done. If the Panko is not brown on top turn on the broil for 2 minutes but keep an eye on it so it does not burn.
- Now you will want to take your Buffalo Sauce and spread it over evenly like it is done in the picture before you serve this way you can put more or less on it.
- B. 2nd Option: You want 4 shallow bowls. Place buffalo sauce in the first bowl, second bowl will be the flour, third bowl will be the egg white and milk, and the fourth and final bowl will be the Panko. Working with one chicken breast at a time you want to dip it into the sauce first then cover with flour, next the egg and milk mixture and finally cover it with Panko.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium high heat. Cover with cooking spray. Place all 4 chicken breasts into the heated skillet. Turn the chicken over once brown on the side about 4 minutes. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or done. If the Panko is not brown on top turn on the broil for 2 minutes but keep an eye on it so it does not burn. Once cooked and golden brown take out of the oven and serve.