“This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you, if you make a purchase using this link.”
Are you looking for a healthy dinner that can be made in 25 minutes or less? Look no further than my Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza. With a few store-bought ingredients you can have dinner prepped and into the oven in no time and feel good about serving your family a healthy meal.
I am always trying to find fast healthy meals to make so where I am not spending all evening in the kitchen.
With only a few ingredients this meal can be on your table and ready to eat in no time. No more mom “What’s for dinner?” Viola before the words can even come out of their mouth you have a yummy healthy BBQ chicken pizza on the table for the win.
All you need for your Healthy BBQ Chicken pizza is :
- A rotisserie chicken (deboned and shredded about 2 cups)
- 1 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- Pizza crust (Pillsbury in a can which I am using or you can save even more time with a premade Boboli, or grab one from the freezer isle that is a cauliflower crust)
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (we use Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 bags of shredded cheese (I use mozzarella and coby-jack mixture)
- 1 bunch of cilantro (optional)
All your kitchen supplies you need:
Fun history fact on BBQ Chicken Pizza’s :
Who knew you would be learning history while reading a food recipe!
A little fun history fact on the original BBQ chicken pizza. It started all the way back in the 80’s from a pizza chef named Ed LaDou and he had a restaurant that did all kinds of different types of pizza. He often came up with such new and innovative pizza dishes that California Pizza Kitchen co-founder approached him and asked him to come up with some ideas for him and that’s how the BBQ chicken pizza was born.
So instead of learning more about the history of BBQ chicken pizza let’s get cooking.
Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken (deboned and shredded)
- 1/2 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 pizza crust (Pillsbury Pizza Crust Classic)
- 1/2 cup bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays)
- 2 cups Shredded cheese (I use Mozzarella and Colby-Jack)
- Next assemble the pizza, place a piece of parchment paper down, unroll the dough onto the parchment paper.
- Next place about ½ cup of BBQ sauce onto the center of the pizza and spread it evenly making sure you cover the pizza.
- Then evenly spread about 2 cups of shredded chicken around on the pizza.
- Next smother in cheese 2 cups of cheese 1 cup of mozzarella and 1 cup Colby Jack (I really like cheese)
- Then sprinkle the red onions on top.
- Place in the oven and cook for 12 to 15 minutes depending on how you like your crust. Make sure you keep an eye on it because everyone’s ovens are a little different.
*placing the pizza stone in the oven while prepping the pizza will help make sure to get the bottom of the crust crunchy. Make sure you don’t do what I did the first couple times of using the pizza stone and that was build the pizza on the stone and then put it in the oven. I couldn’t ever figure out why it was taking so long for my pizzas to cook.
2.Next assemble the pizza, place a piece of parchment paper down, unroll the dough onto the parchment paper.
3.Next place about ½ cup of BBQ sauce onto the center of the pizza and spread it evenly making sure you cover the pizza.
4.Then evenly spread about 2 cups of shredded chicken around on the pizza.
5.Next smother in cheese 2 cups of cheese 1 cup of Mozzarella and 1 cup Colby Jack chesse
6. Then sprinkle the red onions on top.
7. Place in the oven and cook for 12 to 15 minutes depending on how you like your crust. Make sure you keep an eye on it because everyone’s ovens are a little different.
*Then cook to your preference, I like mine a little crunchier, so 15 minutes, remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes then use your pizza slicer and slice away.
Not everyone in my family likes cilantro so this is where I would add some to my slice and serve the rest to the family.
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Want to find more healthy family recipes check out some of these items: