I have always wanted to make Fettuccine Alfredo but never have because I was worried about all the calories and fat it had in it. Now I no longer have to worry about the calories or the fat because I found a version and added a few changes to. This will be a fabulous Fettuccine Alfredo version that you will love. It’s a great low calorie recipe that will not bust your low calorie diet. Having a recipe like this is great because you can use it as a vegetarian recipe to please anyone in your family.
Did you know that Olive Gardens Fettuccine Alfredo has 1220 Calories and 75 grams of fat and 47 grams of saturated fat. With this recipe it is under 500 Calories and 13 grams of fat. I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as mine did.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1 cup of fat free milk
2 tablespoons of Neufchatel or low fat cream cheese
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (reduced fat if you can find it)
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 ounces fresh fettuccine (whole wheat or white)
Pepper and red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Get a large cooking pot and fill with water and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
2. To make the sauce you want to add the butter into a skillet over medium heat. Also add the minced garlic to the butter. Stir for about a minute once the garlic is slightly soft. Next you want to add in the flour. Use a wooded spoon to stir with for about a minute.
3. Add the fresh fettuccine pasta noodles to the boiling salted water. Follow directions on the package. I like to cook mine to for about 5 to 6 minutes depending on taste.
4. Now you want to whisk in the milk and a pinch of salt while you constantly whisk until the sauce gets thick which will be about 3 to 4 minutes. Once the sauce is thick you want to add the cream cheese and parmesan cheese and stir until melted about a minute.
5. Once the noodles are cooked you want to drain the pasta but keep 2 cups of pasta water. Add the noodles back into the pot. Next you are going to add the cheese mixture to the pot. Add a cup of water at this time and gently toss to combine the pasta and cheese mixture. Add more cooking water as needed to make it creamier.
6. Top it off with parsley and pepper and red pepper flakes to taste.
1 Serving: Calories 450: Total Fat 13g (Saturated Fat 6 g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 48mg; Sodium 734mg; Total Carbohydrate 60g (Dietary Fiber 3g); Protein 20g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 11
Weight Watchers Points: 9.5