Are you looking for a Healthy Vegetarian Recipe? Look no further I have a vegetarian lasagna recipe that is delicious. My friend Jessica and I made this a couple of weeks ago and it was really yummy. It was my first time making lasagna and it turned out to be really easy. Even if you are not a vegetarian, this lasagna is still a very healthy meal and one that you won’t miss the meat. Since you are adding in fresh vegetables this could be a great recipe to use after going to your local farmers market. The leftovers from this meal make a healthy lunch or dinner for any busy week ahead.
Hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Prep time: 35mins
Total Time: 1hr 15mins
1 package of sliced fresh mushrooms (8 oz container)
1 medium onion finely chopped (1/2 cup)
2 large zucchini roughly chopped
2 medium green or red bell peppers (I used one of each)
2 cups of fresh chopped spinach
12 uncooked lasagna noodles (I used whole wheat)
1 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 container fat free or reduced fat ricotta cheese (the fat free might be harder to find)
2 cups of low skim milk mozzarella (do not buy the fat free it will not melt properly)
¼ cup fat free or reduced fat parmesan cheese (if you have the regular that is fine to you will not be adding a bunch of fat since you are only using ¼ of a cup)
1 jar (15oz) of tomato and basil marinara sauce
1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning (optional)
½ teaspoon of dried oregano (optional)
½ teaspoon of dried basil (optional)
1. Chop all of your vegetables and measure them out so it is easy to follow the directions instead of going back and forth.
2. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. In a nonstick skillet (12 inch) bring the apple juice to a boil. Add the onion and let it cook till it is an off white (about 3-4 minutes) continue to stir. Next stir in the bell peppers, zucchini, and the mushrooms and cook for another 4 to 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Last you will add in the spinach on all the dried seasonings (Italian seasoning, oregano, and basil). Stir together for another 3-4minutes. Remove from heat and drain well if any apple juice is left.
3. Cook lasagna noodles as directed on package, drain and be careful they will be hot when creating the lasagna.
4.In medium bowl mix together the three cheeses ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan.
5. In a 13×9 baking dish spray with cooking spray evenly and on the sides. Place a little bit of the marinara sauce on the bottom just to coat it about half a cup. Place 3 cooked noodles on top of the marinara sauce. Top with a 1/3 of the cheese mixture and a 1/3 of the vegetable mixture. Then repeat 2 more layers adding in about ½ cup of marinara sauce in between the cooked lasagna noodles. Top off with the 3 remaining lasagna noodles, add the rest of the marinara sauce and top with 1 cup of the remaining mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese is nice and bubbley. Uncover for 5 to 10 minutes to get the light brown golden top. Let stand for 5 minutes and serve.
1 Serving: Calories 325: Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 2.3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 18mg; Sodium 500mg; Total Carbohydrate 50g (Dietary Fiber 7g, Sugars 11g); Protein 19g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 8
Weight Watchers Points: 6