When I go to parties I like to bring a healthy appetizer that way I know what I am eating. If you are not cooking all the dishes for a party you never know how much fat can be hiding in them. This is a dish that can be served hot or cold. That way if you do not have oven access where you are going you can cook the dish earlier and serve when you arrive. The jalapenos bring the heat while the cream cheese, chicken and sour cream help cool and bring all the flavors together. An added bonus is if you have some center cut bacon left over from breakfast, you can add that into the cream cheese mixture as well.
Rocco Dispirtio came out with a new cookbook called Now Eat This Diet. It gives great advice on how to go about your diet and gives wonderful recipes. I decided to try his Chicken and Cheese Poppers (pg 223) but found there were a couple of different techniques I did to change it up and cut the time. These wonderful bites of cheesy heat went super fast at the party. You can also double the recipe depending on how many people are going to be there. I hope you enjoy them as much as everyone at the party did. Enjoy
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Serving: 6 (2 poppers per person)
6 jalapeno peppers
1 cup of shredded skinless breast meat from a rotisserie or roast chicken
¼ cup reduced fat cream cheese
¼ cup reduced fat sour cream
3 green onions (chopped white and green)
½ cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups Panko bread crumbs
1 Tsp of Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean all jalapenos. Slice off the top and then cut down the middle of the jalapeno. Take a spoon and scoop out the seeds. I would do this near a sink with cold water running where you can get the seeds off you quicker. (DO NOT Touch your eyes for a while handling the peppers) Continue the cutting and cleaning for the rest of the jalapenos.
2. Preheat the broil. Line a baking sheet with foil, a wire rack and place the jalapenos on top(if you do not have a wire rack you do not have to use one just place the jalapenos facing up). You want to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes to let them get a little brown and cooked a little. Once done pull out of the oven and let cool.
3. In a small bowl mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, garlic, cheddar cheese and the chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Now you want to fill each half of jalapeno with the chicken and cheese mixture. I found it was easier to use my hands then a spoon because my jalapenos were different sizes. (It will be a little messy but that’s always fun)Pack the filling in tightly and remove excess from the sides. As you are filling them place them on your baking sheet.
5. Next you are going to take your panko breadcrumbs and place about like a tablespoon on top of each of the jalapenos. Make sure the chicken and cheese mixture is covered. Continue on until all the jalapenos are covered.
6. Spray the jalapenos lightly with cooking spray, this will make them brown and crunchy. Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the cheese is bubbly. Take out of the oven let cool for just a minute and serve. Enjoy
1 Serving: Calories 131: Total Fat 4g (Saturated Fat 2.4 g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 43mg; Sodium 119mg; Total Carbohydrate 8.8 (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1.8g ); Protein 15.1g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 3
Weight Watchers Points: 3