Do you love Chinese food but wish there was a way to have it more often without all the sodium and all the grease. Here is a new wonderful recipe “Chicken Teriyaki with Brown Rice and Broccoli”. The great thing is you can control how much sodium is in it by using lower sodium or no sodium teriyaki sauce and low sodium chicken broth. This recipe is a great healthy week night meal because it can be made in less than 30 minutes. This recipe also works as great leftovers for your healthy lunch the next day (Hint: Store the chicken mixture and rice in separate containers so the rice does not get mushy). Have a Wok? Make this recipe in the wok instead of a pan as it will help bring more flavors to the chicken. I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
¼ cup of chopped white onion
½ cup of fat free low sodium chicken broth
3 Tbsp of teriyaki sauce
2 cups of brown rice
4 cup broccoli
1. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
2. Next add the chicken and cook until the chicken is white on all sides. Now add in the chopped white onion and continue to cook until opaque which is about 2 -3 minutes.
3. Time to put in the broth and teriyaki sauce, you want the chicken to simmer and cook all the way through. The sauce will reduce slightly which will take about 5 minutes.
4. Cook the rice as directed. You can use the 90 second rice or you can use the boil in the bag both will work.
5. I steam the broccoli in the microwave for about 4 minutes and then I toss it in with the chicken and sauce to give the broccoli a little more flavor. Cook for about another 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Measure out a 1/2 cup of cooked rice into and place into each bowl. Then add the chicken and broccoli.
Optional: add 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce.
Nutritional Information1 Serving: Calories 222; Total Fat 2.3g (Saturated Fat .2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 45mg; Sodium 786mg; Total Carbohydrate 30.1g (Dietary Fiber 1.8g, Sugar 2.2g); Protein 23g
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Weight Watchers Points Plus: 6
Weight Watchers Points: 4.3