Whens the last time you had a Mexican Pizza from Taco Bell? A while no worries here is my version of a Healthy Mexican Pizza that will help you skip the drive thru and have dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
Remember back in the 90s when Taco Bell’s Mexican pizzas were all the rage? Ok maybe not but as a teenager going into my 20’s this was awesome two fried tortillas with beans and meat in the middle and then up on top you had lots of sauce, gooey cheese, green onions and black olives… Now I always passed on the olives but as time went by so has Taco Bell. Now they have even scratched green onions from it due to health concerns. I stopped by Taco Bell the other day to pick one up because I was craving it and when I got home this is what I got!
Picture of one from Taco Bell
I was so disappointed!! It wasn’t crunchy it was just soggy and greasy flour tortillas. Half the sauce and cheese were on the box and where was the sfork? I decided instead of eating this not so appetizing pizza looking thing I was going to make my own, plus it would save on a ton of calories and mine looks a lot more appetizing and tastes even better.
Let me introduce to you the Healthy Mexican Pizza
So in search of making the best version of my healthy Mexican pizza I figured out the toaster oven works great, an oven is good (if you don’t mind heating up your kitchen) but stay away from the Airfryer as it will dry out your Mexican pizza.
Let’s get started!
Chop the green onions, dice the tomatoes. Place the enchilada sauce and cheese in a bowl for easy access. Place the refried beans in a small sauce pot (but don’t heat yet).
Time to brown the meat. Take a nonstick pan (my favorite pan right now) and 1 pound of lean ground beef and brown it. Once the meat is fully cooked add the taco seasoning and follow the directions on back of packet, usually its just adding some water and stir.
I like to preheat my toaster oven. Turn on the broiler for just a few minutes to help warm up the toaster oven.
Now it time to fake fry the tortillas. What I like to do is toss them into the toaster oven. Turning on the broiler and standing still… Patience’s is not one of my virtues but if you leave this in the toaster oven to long and your not paying attention you will end up with massively burnt tortillas… Trust me I have done this a lot lol…
Once they have become nice and crispy after about 2 minutes depending on how strong a toaster oven you have and how close your tortillas are to the broiler, you need to flip them so the other side matches. Once both sides are nice and crispy with a golden color take them out of the toaster oven and set to the side.
Finally time to warm up your refried beans. We saved them for last because as the beans cool down they become harder to spread.
After the beans have become like a smooth mixture… easy to spin them around the pan its time to make the MEXICAN PIZZA’s
Grab a plate and let’s start building.
Take one tortilla and spread the refried beans a light layer. Then place the tortilla on a plate.
Next add the taco season beef in a layer.
Now for me I would add some cheese on top of the beef and bean layers just because who doesn’t love more cheese. Just a little bit like a tablespoon or two, you want to save more for the top.
Then place the other tortilla on top.
After that you will spoon on some enchilada sauce. What I like to do is take a serving spoon worth full and start in the middle and can make circles going to the edge. Then if I would like more I just add more sauce but slowly you don’t want to have to much sauce and make your tortillas soggy.
Next you add your wonderful glorious CHEESE! So as much as I would love to go crazy with the cheese you need just 1/3 cup of cheese on top.
Now put this lovely pizza back into the toaster oven just to melt the cheese on top.
After cheese is melted put the green onions and tomatoes on top.
Viola you’re done and where is my sfork ???
Kid tested and approved!
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 package low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 1 package of shredded cheese
- 3 green onions
- 2 diced Roma tomatoes
- 8 flour tortillas
- Chop the green onions, dice the tomatoes. Place the enchilada sauce and cheese in a bowl for easy access. Place the refried beans in a small sauce pot (but don’t heat yet).
- Brown the meat until fully cooked. Then add the taco seasoning and follow the directions on back of packet, usually its just adding some water and stir.
- Place the tortillas in the toaster oven side by side. Takes about 2 minutes per side and keep an eye on them so they don’t burn. If they start to burn flip immediately. Once both sides are nice and crispy with a golden color take them out of the toaster oven and set to the side. Continue till all tortillas are done.
- Warm up your refried beans.
- Next build Mexican Pizzas
- Take four tortillas and spread the refried beans in a light layer.
- Next add the taco seasoned beef to each bean tortilla.
- Then place the 4 crispy tortillas on top of each bean and beef mixture.
- After that you will spoon on some enchilada sauce. Start with a little bit at first and then add more to your liking. Be careful not to get carried away with sauce or you will have soggy tortillas.
- Next you add cheese about a ⅓ of a cup on top of each sauced tortilla.
- Put the pizza back in toaster oven to melt the cheese. Minute or so with the broiler. I can fit 2 at a time.
- Sprinkle green onions and tomatoes on top.